The Rock and Temple of Trichinopoly, 1801

Philip Le Couteur

The Rock and Temple of Trichinopoly, 1801
3 2 c m
40cm
actual image size: 32cm x 24cm

The Rock and Temple of Trichinopoly, 1801.

Oil on canvas by Lieutenant Philip Le Couteur (1777-1807), 12th (Madras) Native Infantry, 1801.

Strategically sited on the bank of the River Cauvery (Kaveri) in Southern India, about 56 miles (90 km) from the sea, Trichinopoly was the third most important fortified post in the Madras Presidency (after Fort St George and Fort St David). The rectangular fort was built to enclose the Rock, one of several natural outcrops of volcanic gneiss which rise abruptly from the plain.

Image Details

Negative No.
 
7872
Accession No.
 
NAM. 1968-03-1-1

© National Army Museum Copyright

buy a print

Select size
 
Select finish
 
How many prints?
 
£20.00
 

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas