La Martinière, Lucknow, 1858

Felice Beato

La Martinière, Lucknow, 1858
3 5 c m
40cm
actual image size: 32cm x 27cm

La Martinière, Lucknow, 1858.

Photograph by Felice Beato (1825-1907), Indian Mutiny, 1858.

La Martinière was built by Frenchman Claude Martin in 1795, though he died before its completion in 1802. Initially designed as a country house, it was converted into a school for boys. At the start of the Indian Mutiny (1857-1859) it was occupied by the insurgents, but evacuated in November 1857 with the news of Sir Colin Campbell's advance. During Sir Colin's second attack in March 1858, it was found deserted and was thus one of the few monuments in Lucknow to escape damage. During the siege, the students helped in the defence of the Residency. After the rising, the masters and boys received the mutiny medal for their services. The school still functions today under the name of La Martinere Boys' College.

© National Army Museum Copyright

buy a print

Select size
 
Select finish
 
How many prints?
 
£20.00
 

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas

image details