The Balla Hissar and City of Caubul, from the Upper Part of the Citadel

Louis Haghe, Charles Haghe, James Atkinson

The Balla Hissar and City of Caubul, from the Upper Part of the Citadel
3 0 c m
40cm
actual image size: 32cm x 22cm

The Balla Hissar and City of Caubul, from the Upper Part of the Citadel.

Tinted lithograph from bound volume of 26 tinted lithographs, 'Sketches in Afghanistan', 1838-1842, by Louis and Charles Haghe after James Atkinson, published by Henry Graves and Company and J W Allen and Company, 1 July 1842.

The ancient Bala Hissar fortress was located south of the city overlooking the houses and bazaars from a commanding height. After capturing Kabul and installing Shah Shuja as Emir in Augst 1839 the British had occupied the Bala Hissar, but in the months that followed they relocated to a defensively weak cantonment built to the north east of Kabul. Had they remained at the fortress the subsequent uprising may have been resisted.

Image Details

Negative No.
 
94632
Accession No.
 
NAM. 1971-02-33-481-21

© National Army Museum Copyright

buy a print

Select size
 
Select finish
 
How many prints?
 
£20.00
 

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas